Friday, October 24, 2008

Inspiration...

Last week I ran my first 15 K race and found myself so inspired by all the athletes, volunteers, and most of all by the beauty of the fall morning. The course was amazing, I felt incredibly strong, and the weather could not have been better. 

And all this sort of got me thinking of all the things that inspire me and that make me grateful... so I thought I'd start a little list, the operative word being "start." I don't think a list like this is something you ever really finish, which is part of the journey that we call life. So, here it goes (in no particular order of importance, or else all the people would be first of course):

1. Desert sunrises
2. South Florida sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico
3. My arms and legs that let me run and cycle and walk and swim and sometimes even rock climb
4. My education and all the ways it has made me see the world through different eyes
5. My brother and his strength, both mentally and physically
6. My dad and his never-ending belief in and support of my dreams
7. My mom, the strongest and most beautiful woman I know
8. My boyfriend's love, support, humor, and intelligence
9. Authors who write about things that matter
10. The fact that storms don't last forever, and the probability that most of them will be followed by the most breathtaking peacefulness
11. My bicycle
12. Changing seasons
13. My house at about 3 p.m. every Thanksgiving
14. My 07-08 girls water polo team 
15. My brother's fiance for loving my brother and wanting to spend her life with him
16. Desert wildflowers
17. Joshua Tree National Park
18. My aunt's screened-in back porch and back yard
19. Molly, the best dog in the world (slightly biased, although most people who meet her and don't have their own dogs already would probably agree)
20. The possibility of peace and the people who believe in it
21. The roof over my head and the ground under my feet
22. Apologies and forgiveness
23. Beautiful artwork, photography, and music
24. Babies
25. Cecile Andrew's book The Circle of Simplicity
26. Yoga
27. My spin class at the gym
28. People who seek new truths and are not afraid to stand up for what they believe in
29. Teenagers who manage to develop and maintain a strong sense of self
30. All my extended family members who inspire me constantly
31. Socks and warm blankets and ear warmers and sweaters (it's cold today)
32. My dissertation chair and committee members who believe in me and my research
33. Teachers who dedicate their lives to our future and strive to create a more just, equitable, and peaceful world
34. Jonathan Kozol
35. Howard Zinn
36. My boyfriend's garden
37. Food on my table at every meal
38. Old photographs
39. Autumn and leaves changing colors
40. New beginnings
41. My friends - I have the best friends in the world
42. Quiet moments of reflection
43. Desert mornings
44. The smell of fresh rain
45. Freshly cut flowers on the dining room table
46. Diversity
47. Freedom, in both the ideal and realistic sense of the word
48. Conversations on a cold day by the fireplace
49. Businesses dedicated to sustainable living and responsible production
50. Smiles on the faces of children

Stay posted... my goal is to get to 100 by Thanksgiving.
 

No comments: