Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The 29 Day Challenge: Day #15

Yesterday morning I read a disturbing and compelling article in the newspaper that prompted me to action. The article reported that 7 out of 10 children in our local community are designated as low income and qualify for free and reduced price lunches through the public school system. For many of these children, the only meals they get throughout the day are the ones provided for them at school. This is also the last week of school for local area schools, which means that come next week, these kids will not be getting their regular meals through the schools.

What did I do? I researched a local food bank that distributes food to over 90 local organizations. What did I give them? A modest check that, according to their calculations, will provide 240 meals to local residents.
How do I feel? Sad... but more on that later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This has been my favorite one so far =)