Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hope

Sometimes hope originates from a place of perceived hopelessness and sometimes the most extraordinary outcomes result from the most ordinary of actions. I have to admit that on this personal journey I am traveling towards a life of greater simplicity, there have been many moments when I have been a little less than proud to be an American. I am not proud of our country's greed and consumerism and oppression, but that conversation belongs in a different post on a different day.

Today, I want to focus on the positive. I have to say that I am overwhelmed with a sense of pride, hope, and empowerment that I have not felt in a very long time... if ever. I have always wanted so much to be part of a generation that stands up for things that are positive, humane, and hopeful and I have always believed that change is possible. I have also always believed that my generation - the youth of this country - has not been apathetic so much as it has been waiting for a chance to really be heard. And last night I saw a glimpse of what this kind of voice might mean in my lifetime. To me, that deserves a moment of pause and of reflection.

No comments: